Monday, April 10

05BarrettMichaelStudio


Well, while JT is sitting in Connecticut looking for reasons to get down on our 4-1 Cubs, I've decided to take this off-day to exude feelings of greatness and pride after completing the sweep. TheHawk may be disappointed that we relied on the longball (again) in order to pull off a victory, but you all have to admit, that was a pretty exciting game, and Barrett CRANKED that ball! I'm happy today that the Cubs were able to overcome the Rook's first MLB start AND the absolutely horrendous "umpiring" behind the plate. I try not to complain about referees, arbitrators, arbiters, adjudicators, judges, or mediators as a general rule, but umpires are sat in a realm of separate judgement; and plus... last night's home plate umpire wholly deserves it. Everyone saw the terrible call on Juan Pierre's "swing" with 2 strikes, 2 outs and runners at the corners, so I won't say anything else about that. But before that even happened I had been commenting on the fact that the umpire back there had a different strike zone for Ponson and Marshall, and it sure seemed that Marshall's was a little skinnier. Joe Morgan even woke John Miller from his slumber so that they could collectively observe a couple pitches using ESPN's state-of-the-art K-Zone. K-Zone, I might add, was in agreement. But enough griping about the ump, the point is, on a day when the Cubs getting strikes called from the umpire was about as common as rain on the PGA tour, they were able to overcome and come-from-behind to pull off an awesome victory.


Points of business to attend to...


1) Congrats "Jock" (or "Jack" as one of the announcers repeatedly called him). Your first hit was certainly a good one, going yard for 3 Ribbees to put the Cubs temporarily ahead. Keep that up and we'll see why you're making 4k thousand.
2) Barrett, you are my hero. Don't ever go back to Boy Scouts, stay here in Cubland, and keep swinging that wood (at strikes)(that you can hit)(that you can hit not to opposing players)(ok, just relax and don't do anything stupid). No, seriously, I said it earlier this year about how I hope he has a really good year; a year that I know he is capable of, so this was definitely a bright spot to build on.
3) How about Walker's pathetic double play throw to first?? I mean... I love Todd Walker, I really do, but... that throw was TERRIBLE!!1one! He caught a ripping line-drive on a hit-and-run, and then he one-hopped it to D-Lee!!! Wow... oh well, the throw got the job done... I guess. (However, to keep things clear, he still had better continue to start)


I think that's about all for now. What do we have to look forward to this week, Cub-faithfuls?

10 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barrett is poised for a great year NOT BATTING 8TH!!! The 5-hole is good for him, and he'll collect loads of RBIs, and probably better power numbers and BA there. He's a great offensive catcher, and it's time to use him as such. Plus, he doesn't strike out as much as Jones, and he walks more.

If Rusch can get us off to a good start against those motley Reds, then I think Maddux and Zambrano can wrap the thing up. Hope for another winning series, hopefully with some more small ball. Not that I mind home runs, especially with men on base.

Yeah, the throw to first was bad, but it was no big deal, as the runner was on his way back to the dugout anyway.

I'm still angry about the umpiring. I really think Marshall could've had his first win.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Jim Hendry said...

1. Superb use of the PGA Tour reference.

2. Of course Marshall's strike zone was skinnier - he's skinnier than Ponson. Fat guys get fat K zones. Fact.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

Honestly, I meant it that I don't like to complain about the referees of a sporting event, but that umpire was REALLY BAD. Period. I agree that Marshall could have possibly had his first win. The first two runs would arguably have not been scored if he had correctly called a strike to Pujols and then a strike to Rolen. But naturally, then you start playing the game of "If this, then this..." and in the end if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass when it jumped.

Either way though, I thought Marshall was fairly impressive, especially given his backstory, etc. I was very impressed by his array of pitches. He is a big, tall guy with 3 solid pitches, although his fastball seemed to only be high-80's. I loved that huge sweeping curveball of his, and if he can learn to disguise it a little better, I think that would be key to him being a successful MLB pitcher. At any rate, I'm not saying he is (or isn't) ready for the big-leagues yet but I was impressed with him overall.

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly could've done a lot worse for an emergency call up. *cough* Koronka *cough*

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger DS said...

T-Walk's throw had to the worst throw I've ever seen in the infield...laughable. But as Lazlo mentioned, it didn't really matter...he could have rolled it to first and they still would have gotten the DP.

I can finally agree with JT about something: Ponson's a fat ass.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

Yeah he is... he and Darren Daulton should go drinking and drive around together. That way only one of them would get a DUI.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Jim said...

lazlo, you jerk, you! I thought you wanted Barrett batting second and Walker batting fifth?

Remember, guys, Barrett for VP in 2008. Vote early and often. (How is Barrett with a shotgun, anyway?)

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Jim said...

If you are not prepared to boo umpires, you have yet to come to a full understanding of baseball. This ain't soccer, fans. Umpires do not feel they've done their jobs unless you regail them with a chorus.

Somebody please teach Marshall how to spit. He dribbled down his chin last night, in the dugout. Mad Dog has got to shape that boy up.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, you ignorant slut. I only wanted Barrett 2nd with Walker 5th when I thought dusty would refuse to bat anybody in the five spot who didn't bat lefty. Now that he's proven that theory wrong there is no reason not to have Barrett 5th.

And booing umpires is absolutely fine.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

I think we should keep Walker batting second, put Barrett in at fifth until Jones heats up (if he does). Then we should put Barrett on the ballot for pres and Walker can be VP. I'll vote for that pair as many times as they'll let me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home