Sunday, April 9

Bring Out the Brooms!

Well, I've finally done it: I just used the cheesiest post title in LB history. But seriously, we've got a good chance to sweep those pesky red birds today. Everyone's been making a big deal about Marshall (for good reason) but looking at who St. Louis is putting on the hill, we've got a damn good chance of putting 1.5 games between us and the Cards in the standings.

The Cubs are riding their first winning streak of the season and if they can somehow combine elements from the previous two victories (I'd like to see both some small and long ball, too much to ask?), the streak will continue.

Back to the pitching. The Cards are starting Sidney "I once ate 31 crab cakes" Ponson. Ponson is a portly guy who reportedly has trouble maintaining velocity because he's out of shape. Pathetic. Looking at his stats from recent years I think the best way to describe him is mediocre. Ponson and the cubs have never met so there are no fun stats in that department. My prediction: he lasts four or less innings, gives up at least 4 earned runs and retires to the locker room to hang his head in shame. Once back in the locker room, he'll devour an entire 22 ounce bag of pork cracklin's.

Sean Marshall. We all know the back story by now. He's a young guy, never pitched above AA ball, makes any serious Cub fan nervous and is making his big league debut in prime time on ESPN. I'm not passing judgment and I’m staying optimistic. I'll either love him or hate him after the game tonight.

The last thing I'll mention is Jacque Jones. This guy is getting over 4 mil this year and while it's still way to early to make sweeping generalizations, I’ll do it anyway. He looks like our new Corey Patterson. That's right, he's jumped right into the shoes left vacant by CP: Official Cubs whipping boy. So far he's 0-12 with six strikeouts. If that's not Patterson like I don't know what is.

10 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Pitchers that have never done much have a way of jumping up and biting the Cubs on the ass, then drifting away into oblivion again. That scares me more than Marshall's lack of experience.

CP to date with Orioles: one hit in six at bats; two runs scored; one strikeout. (Hmmmmm?)

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marshall does not look like the type to have trouble getting outs, which is not to say he's not the type to give up some runs - he just looks like (unlike Jerome Williams) even when he's struggling, he can eventually get out of innings. Let's hope Ponson is as bad as he was last year. A career losing record would indicate he's not that great a pickup for the birds.

At this point I would rather have CP in right field because: #1. He at least has had a hit. #2. He makes less money than Jones. #3. He's got better speed and better power. #4. He wouldn't be batting 5th. Still, Jones is not going to bat .000 for the season. But if he bats .250 and has an OBP under .300 then he will be a vast dissapointment, and difficult to deal. If he continues to struggles for even another few games he should be taken out of the 5 spot - he's hurting Aramis.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger DS said...

Checking the most recent stats at ESPN, it looks like CP is 1-10 with 3 strikeouts. Still not as bad a Jones but I don't know if anyone in the league currently has worse stats than "Jock."

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger DS said...

While I obviously already despise Jones, I am still glad CP is gone. Patterson proved, without a doubt, that he is worthless. Jones still might be able to get his act together (but probably not). If the current trend continues, I say start Mabry.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Or at least put Hairston in right to face left handed pitchers.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Although I'd like to see Angle Paygun (sorry, can't help myself, it's the midwesterner in me)get some time in right. He's a switch hitter, as I recall and his play in spring training earned him a better shot than splinter guard.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jim said...

CP Watch: After today's game he was 1 for 10, with three Ks for the season. that's actually an improvement in the strike out department. And 100 points higher in the hitting department than our guy.

Jones'll start hitting, though. I believe in him.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'll forget all this Jones-bashing as soon as he starts putting wood on the ball. But if that doesn't happen, I'd like to see Pagan get some starts. This kid's got lots of up side, and I'm fairly certain he'd at least hit lefties better than Jones. We'll see what happens. It's a little early to start demanding lineup rearrangements or to have a player benched because of his offense. If he gets a hit or two today all is forgiven. Except for the three strikeouts against Carp. For shame, padding an overrated pitcher's stats like that.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger DS said...

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!!

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Barrett for Allstar catcher. Vote early, vote often.

Good job, Jonesie. All is forgiven, temporarily anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home