Fuck, I mean... This Week in Dusty [a day late] : 4/26 to 5/2
"You've got to be able to keep them in sight. If they get out of sight, it makes it tough."
- Dusty on the dangers of falling behind early in the NL Central - 4/26
"There's too many things that you can hurt -- fingers, wrist, elbows, shoulders. There's a lot of things that can happen with a headfirst slide, but Rickey Henderson did a headfirst slide 1,000 times. It depends on the person."
- Dr. Dusty on Barrett's head-first sliding - 4/26
"When things are going good, you don't worry about why they're going good -- you just keep on going good. It's like surfing -- you ride it to the beach instead of worrying about when you're going to fall off."
- Dusty on Maddux's career-best 5-0 start - 4/28
"Conceptually, sometimes you don't have a choice, you know what I mean?"
- No, actually I don't. Dusty on the possibility of having 3 rookies in the rotation - 4/30
"Quite frankly, I wish the animated, demonstrative, angry Z returns, to tell you the truth. This new, calm Z ain't working, so we want the old Z back. This new guy is not himself. I think everybody would like to have old Z back, you know what I'm saying?"
- Yeah, and for once I actually agree with you, dude - 4/30
"It's a different situation per person. Sometimes when you're down and things aren't right, sometimes you need a hug versus a kick. You're already down. You don't kick somebody when they're down. Sometimes you need a kick, especially when a guy isn't exerting effort. We all could use a hug sometimes."
- Seriously. To think I was getting kicked all these years - 5/01
"Where's he going to play? Felix is doing pretty good. He's hitting .300 -- it's not like he's hitting .400, either. He needs to stay down there and do well. If he was a first baseman, it'd be a different story."
- Um, maybe he could play in RIGHT FIELD? - 5/02
"That's a big dude out of there. That's a lot of offense. That's similar to the Cardinals losing Albert Pujols. You always need more offense, but you have to do what you can defensively and pitching-wise."
- No shit, dude. Dusty on Lee's absence - 5/02