Mad-dog is NAASSSTTYYY!!!
And used to have a funny mustache, too.
Well I'm sticking with my vote for Cub of the Week last week. I think it was one of those cases where he was reading our blog, and said, "FINE! I didn't get enough props on your blog? I'll have to have an even better week!" Maddux has seriously been ridiculous this year, and the articles are everywhere, so I'll try not to get into the stats and repeat everything every other article says. But seriously, did you guys see that he pitched 8 innings last night and only gave up 1 run on 3 hits with no walks? Pretty crazy, huh! In true JT style, I now dismiss you to talk amongst yourselves. Topics could include:
* Dempster had an OK game for a closer, allowing no hits, striking out 1 and registering the save. He didn't strike out the side, but I guess I'll take it.
* Walker had another terrific game, getting the scoring started with a solo home run and going 2/3. Dusty even let him finish the game. It was his 100th career dinger.
* Maddux also contributed to the offense getting what he termed a "cheap hit" with runners at the corners. That was the story of his RBI, and he rounded the bases and scored a run on a Walker sac-fly as well.
* Maddux drove in My Main Man Matt Murton who was hitless again last night, but did collect a free base on balls. He ran the bases well too, advancing to third on a single and scoring on Maddux's cheap trick.
* Um, Maddux catching Furcal in a rundown while he tried to steal third? According to Mad-dog, that call was made by Larry Rothschild. So he gets his credit in that one too.
* Doesn't TheHawk feel a little regretful for deciding to go to tonight's game to see Z instead of going last night? Everyone understands a busy schedule, and I guess tonight was more CONVENIENT for him, but let's make fun of him anyway. HAHA, SUCKS FOR YOU!!!
* "The main thing is strike one. You get strike one and you can do a lot of things." Dusty Baker does have a way with words, eh?
Regardless, Dusty may have said it best (?!?) when he described Maddux's pitching last night as "Masterful."