Wednesday, April 12

Thoughts on Today's Line-up

jerry-hairston-jr


The Cubs take the field today after a couple injuries jumped up and bit their backsides during yesterday's game. Jacques I've-Been-Jonesing-For-Hits-So-Bad-I-Strained-My-Hammy left the game with a broken nose. Just kidding, he strained his hammy and probably won't start today. I would imagine Mabry will start in his place, although it might be nice to see Pagan (so many jokes about his name could be made, yet I'll refrain and allow JT to have his best shot) get the start.

Aramis Ramirez also left the game yesterday. If he doesn't start today, no one will probably notice. No, just kidding, if he doesn't start today, I don't know who will start in his place, but I would guess perhaps Freddie Bynum or Neifi Perez. Alarmingly, Ramirez is the only officially listed third baseman on the roster. My money is on Mabry starting here too. I heard he was good like that.*

I did read that Hairston Jr will be starting today. This one I'm not so sure as to the reason. Dusty Apparently-Baked-All-The-Time took Walker out of the game early yesterday too. To my knowledge he isn't injured and wasn't tired. Are you people gonna try and tell me that yesterday was a situation where you'd want to have a "more defensive second baseman" in the game? I sure hope not, but I have to admit, I was pretty confused when that happened yesterday. Let's hope he's not hurt, although it's probably more likely that Dusty blamed all of the Red's homeruns on Hot Rod Todd's poor defense.

Anyway, the point being that Hairston shouldn't start at 2b in my opinion. In my opinion you leave Walker at 2b. You put Pagan or Hairston Jr (if you fricking MUST play him) in RF, and you play Mabry at 3b. Regardless, let's sit back and see what happens... I'm hoping we get those pesky Reds back today!!! (and get Maddux number 320, anyone?)

* "[Mabry] is a solid defensive outfielder, a first baseman with good hands and a surprisingly adequate third baseman." - excerpt from ESPN.com scouting report

9 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

I'm going to make an assumption without looking it up, just so that no one else has to correct me. Hairston Jr was put in yesterday because a LHP was brought in for the Reds? Probably? Again, I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment, but it's probably also the reason that he is starting today against LHP Brandon Claussen. Not sure this really changes how I feel about the line-up, I'd still rather see Walker in there, but I'll wait and see what happens.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

Well, I got part of what I wished for. 33.333 (repeating 3's of course) percent of what I wished for to be exact. Hairston Jr will be starting at 2b today (boo!). Neifi Perez will be starting at 3b (oh well, although Mabry is also surprisingly adept at hitting southpaws, even though he is a lefty, so boo!) and Pagan will be starting today in RF (yay!).

Here goes nothing! (in about another 35 minutes)

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hairston is starting because of the left-handed pitcher. How this makes sense, I'm not exactly sure. Hairston hit righties better than lefties last year, and Walker hit lefties as well (actually better) than righties.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

Agreed, Lazlo. You will also be happy to see Barrett hitting in the fourth spot, since Ramirez is out with a sore "butt muscle" (According to Ron Santo).

Cubs leading 1-0! Throwing error on the catcher on a double steal! Pierre scores with none other than Barrett up to bat! The double steal?!? Hell yeah!!!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

2nd double steal of the game!!! Pierre and Lee steal 3rd and 2nd!!!

Who is coaching the Cubs today???

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, the lineup was ugly on paper gong into the game today. Adam Dunn ugly. But, it worked. Barrett getting shifted to the 4 spot really couldn't have come at a better time, since he is the Cubs hot bat right now. Let's hope, however, that it doesn't last too long, as I think we'd all agree the lineup is better with A-Ram 4th and Barrett 5th (typically). I like Pagan getting the start in Right.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

CUBS WIN!!! CUBS WIN!!!

It was a kind of painful game, definitely not a pretty one, but Barrett was fantastic today, batting in the fourth spot and definitely cleaning things up as far as RBIs go.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't care what average your cleanup hitter has, or your 5 hitter, if he's leading the league in RBIs.

We did have an error-aided offense today, but the pitching was certainly pretty. Good game for Maddux and Eyre, and a solid save for Dempster.

Maddux with yet another 6 inning 1 ER outing, this time with 7 K and 2 BB. If he can keep it up, then he may just win his 15 games again.

Oh, and Maddux is doing it economicaly (80-some pitches today), which others have not done. He might start racking up some innings if he keeps getting out of innings with so few pitches.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Yes, Hairston started because he's right handed and Dusty wants to give all the second basemen a chance to start. (Not my idea of what's best, so don't blame the messenger.)

Mabry (RFD) ain't gonna start because he's too valuable coming off the bench when they really need a big hit. You don't play your ace in the hole until you really need it.

Walker came through with a pinch hit later in the game, although it didn't count for anything other than to prove he's a hitting machine. (Go Walk!)

How 'bout that Barrett! Vote early, vote often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home