Wednesday, June 1

Right Now/The Challenge has been Issued

Well well, things are certainly heating up on the West Coast.

4-3 in the 5th Inning at the moment, thanks to some excellent, timely hitting by Perez (3-run, 2 out HR) and some stellar defense (Corey diving catch in the 4th). Not to mention rookie pitcher John Koronka; despite a shaky 3rd Inning, he's performed about as well as could be expected, definitely as well as Mitre pitched last week against the Rocketeer -- 6 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K through 4 innings so far tonight in his first start up from AAA-Iowa.

The offense looks impressive - through 4 1/2 innings:

Derrek Lee -- 3-3, R
Hot Rod Walker -- 2-3, RBI, R
Neifi Perez -- 2-3, HR, 3 RBI

The hits keep on coming, and the runs keep on coming - 5-3 with bases loaded and 2 outs as I write this sentence.

Also, a huge welcome to new readers, Carlos especially - we appreciate your support and readership, and we hope to keep you entertained and up-to-date as the season goes on. Thanks for commenting!

Also, it seems I've been issued a mini-stats challenge of sorts by Jim and Hawk. I think I can comment quite safely on my hunting, as it seems the answer is not as cryptic as one might think. As far as I can tell (and believe me, I'm still researching), the owner of the record for most solo Home Runs falls to the obvious candidate, Mr. Hank Aaron, for whom exactly 400 (53% of his total) of his 755 HRs were solo shots. I will continue to look through the stats, but it looks like this total might be hard to beat.


You can praise me later for my efforts. (Joke)

LET'S GO CUBBIES!

6 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Keep counting those homers and you'll miss the game!

Talk about your called shot. I saw Hammerin' Hank point to a seat in right center field during an All Star game and then park one on a line drive in the exact seat he seemed to point to. What a hitter. And he was only about five-ten and 180 pounds. It's all in the wrists.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Jim said...

D. Lee! D. Lee! D. Lee! D. Lee! D. Lee!

That's five for five, with a three run homer. 50 ribbies.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Burnitz strikes out on three pitches. The pitcher is thinking, "Man, I coulda walked Lee and been out of this!"

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Jim Hendry said...

Funny, I think Jim Tracy was thinking the same thing. "Don't pitch anything hittable to Lee, and you'll be fine."

I kinda feel bad for that pitcher, Sanchez. He knew what he was trying to do, and yet he couldn't execute.

How about Koronk-AAA????

D-Lee's new moniker is Derrek "Triple Crown" Lee. I don't care if he wins it or not, he's a triple crowner in my book.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Hollandsworth went 2 for 3 with a walk tonight. That was good to see.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys, if we all stop saying things like "leading the league" and "triple crown", maybe the opposing pitchers will forget that Lee is a threat, and then he can really beat up on them. I for one hope the media never says a word about Lee until the season is over, then praise him all you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home