Monday, May 16

Derrek Lee --- error-free, but offensive mystery




Like the other members of LB, I'm not one to worry unnecessarily or jump on things too quickly (or at least I try not to), but I am like the rest of LB in that I lie occasionally, especially about whether or not I worry unnecessarily.

Derrek Lee, unlike the Menace of April, has been a Phantom Menace of late (couldn't resist, what with the new one on the horizon), managing 4 hits in his last 24 at-bats and watching his average plummet from the dizzying heights of .410-ish to .353 in the last week or so. Batting .167, he's managed 9 strikeouts (28 all season) and one RBI -- the unbelievably important extra-innings HR off Heath Bell and the Mets (sounds like a 50s soul group... Heath Bell and the Mets) to clinch that series.



How D-Lee might be feeling of late.



It is probably just the laws of gravity and averages and other science stuff -- what goes up must come down, everything will even out, good with the bad etc etc -- but given all the recent mistakes and miscues and minor injuries and muscle strains, we need that superhuman batting 3 to keep things ticking along.

Let's just see what happens.

2 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I see why you're a Cubs fan—you're rationalizing. As long as there's a Wrigley, there is hope. Maybe even a lady in a lake somehwere with a magical sword.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jim Hendry said...

I saw that lady just last night. She told me the Cubs would win 93 games this year.


Then she told me I needed to lose some weight.

(I ignored the second of her messages)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home