Wednesday, June 8

Mitre is Miraculous!!

Sergio Mitre earned this alliteration today. So after I point Mitre out as the worst start of the week amongst a slew of great starts last week, he turns up the intensity a notch just to show me up. I'll take it, and enjoy the power we here at LB hold. 7.0 innings of 2 hit baseball! Ya can't ask for much more than that, even Halladay had a great start (7.0 IP, 2 ER), but it wasn't enough to hold up next to Mitre's gem. Mitre also swung the bat fairly well, driving in the first Cubs run of the game, which accounts for half of the runs scored. (I think... I had to get my calculator but it looks like the math works out.)

Primarily using his fastball and curveball, Mitre dominated to Blue Jays today to avoid the 3 game sweep. He was undermatched, but stepped up to the challenge, giving up only 2 hits and pitching his way out of the small number of jams he got into. It was only the Cubs' third shut-out of the year, and the first time Roy Halladay lost a decision to someone not playing for Baltimore.

The Cubs offense was pretty good today, but they did squander some additional scoring opportunities. They had 9 hits and had the bases loaded at least once with two outs, but couldn't score anyone. However, two runs was enough to get the job done today, so I'll take it.
Ohman came in and pitched a solid 8th inning, and Dempster recorded his seventh save in as many tries, striking out the side and giving up one hit and one walk.

That's about all I have for now, go Cubbies!


I'll be out of town in the sunny Virgin Islands for the next 9 days, so if there is a computer I'll try to post once in a while, but you guys gotta take care of stuff while I'm gone. The fate of the world depends upon it! The public deserves to know what LB has to say!!! Let's hope I get back to find the Cubs on a 9 game win streak! Peace, for now...

7 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right. I watched this game, and Ohman did not come into it, even though he did warm up during the eighth.

It was a great game for the Cubs today. Mitre made a real bid for a spot in the rotation, and I honestly think that when Wood comes back and we only need one of those minor leaguers to pitch, it should probably be Mitre, not Koronka.

It was also great to see some guys hit who have not always been the offensive stars. Hollandsworth had a double and scored a run, the pitcher doubled in a run, and Corey got himself a rare non-home run RBI. Also, Barrett has been getting better with the bat. His average is up to .290, and though I'm not sure if he had a hit today, he was on base at least twice, and worked good counts. D-Lee went 1 for 4. What happened? Just kidding.

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone with the name Sergio better be really good at sports, otherwise he's destined to be on the cover of romance novels, or on a show about gay guys who give people makeovers.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

yeah my bad, i remember seeing ohman in the bullpen, and i mistakingly said to a friend "ohman" during the game and was corrected. sometime between then and making this post i apparently forgot again. my bad, thanks for catching it!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

also, lazlo, i think i agree about mitre getting the spot instead of koronka. he has more major league experience, so that is really the only thing i am basing this on. i think the final decision (for me) on the koronka vs. mitre issue will be decided in their upcoming starts before wood gets back. i am on the fence about them when thinking about their abilities and how they have pitched recently, but given mitre's extra ML experience, i am leaning towards agreement with lazlo for now.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I am pleased to eat my words posted from today's pre-game comments. Who'da thunk Sergio could have gone deeper than three innings of shut-out ball. Good job!

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Jim Hendry said...

I think it we had the luxury of choosing between Mitre and Koronka to fill that spot-start, I'd definitely choose Mitre, but at the moment I believe we need both of them in the rotation, right?

Zambrano
Rusch
Maddux
Mitre
Koronka

or could we work off a 4-man rotation again? All I know is that I'd definitely choose Koronka over Jon "Suck" Leicester, the other man to have seen spot-start duties over the season so far.

Solid performance defensively today too - Perez had some excellent plays at shortstop, and Barrett called an excellent game. Mitre won this one outright getting an RBI double in the process, but the whole team worked hard to salvage a game from this sleepy series.

Enjoy that rest day, for Friday the Red Sox are in town.

D-Lee vs. Wakefield -- one obvious winner in that confrontation me thinks.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Hyposquasher said...

yeah, we need both mitre and koronka now, but we were talking about when wood comes back and one of the two are sent back down to iowa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home